The mission of the Third Web Payments Working Group Patent Advisory Group (PAG) is to study issues and propose solutions related to patents and claims excluded by Visa regarding several specifications of the Web Payments Working Group. Learn more about this PAG.
The Web Payments Working Group PAG has the scope to:
- explore ways to obtain an RF licensing commitment from the current owner of excluded patent claims so that the W3C Royalty-Free Patent Policy Requirements are met;
- seek relevant prior art;
- discuss ways to design around the disclosed patents;
- if necessary, request an analysis of the claim by a W3C patent counsel. This analysis will be made only if sufficient funds for that purpose are made available via the Web Legal Support Fund.
This PAG is chartered to recommend to the W3C Director a path forward following the identified disclosures and exclusions. The recommendations must be chosen from among the options in section section 7.5.1 of the Patent Policy:
- The initial concern has been resolved, enabling the Working Group to continue.
- The Working Group should be instructed to consider designing around the identified claims.
- The Team should seek further information and evaluation, including and not limited to evaluation of the patents in question or the terms under which W3C RF licensing requirements may be met.
- The Working Group should abandon the work.
- Alternative licensing terms should be considered. The procedure in section 7.5.3 must be followed.
In accordance with section 7.3 of the W3C Patent Policy, the following people are invited to participate in this PAG:
- Advisory Committee Representatives of each W3C Member participating in the Web Payments Working Group. AC Representative registration form
- (Optional) Each Advisory Committee Representative may also designate a second individual (usually legal counsel) to participate in the PAG.
- Co-Chairs of the Web Payments Working Group
- W3C Team contacts for the Web Payments Working Group
- W3C counsel and PAG Chair
- Others invited by the PAG Chair and approved by the W3C Director
Participation in this PAG (attending meetings, following the mailing list) is expected to require one-half a day per week per participant.
The level of confidentiality of the proceedings of PAG meetings will be determined the the PAG participants when they first convene.
This charter, the PAG's recommendations to the W3C Director, and any prior art will be public and communicated on [email protected] (mailing list archive).
The Web Payments Working Group PAG primarily conducts its work via mailing lists and teleconferences. Exceptionally, the PAG Chair may convene a face-to-face meeting.
The Chair may invite (non-participant) individuals to specific meetings to further the work of the PAG.
About this charter
On 17 June 2019 W3C launched this PAG in accordance to Section 7.1 (PAG Formation) of the Patent Policy and in accordance with the Procedures for Launching and Operating a Patent Advisory Group.
This PAG is chartered through 31 December 2019. The W3C Director may extend the charter.
See also information about two previous PAGs for this Working Group: the 2017 PAG, and the 2016 PAG.